The problem-definition process (6.2pg 112))
1. Understand the situation-identify the key symptoms.
2. Identify the problems from the symptoms.
3. Write managerial decision statement and corresponding research objectives.
4. Determine the unit of analysis.
5. Determine relevant variables.
6. Write research questions and/or research hypothesis.
#6 will be focus on grading research paper.
Understand the business decision+
Gather background information.
-interview all relevant parties, develop many alternative problems statements, think about possible solutions to the problem=, make lists of ideas, be open-minded
Identify all key symptoms.
Cheesecake factory cheesecake in Darden group restaurants: would incorporating the sale of cheesecake factory’s cheesecakes in the Darden group restaurants such as olive garden, longhorn steakhouse, Bahama breeze, season 52, yard house, and the capital grille be an opportunity to increase Darden sales as well as open a new revenue for cheesecake factory with offering their cheesecakes in other restaurants.