max 300 words total
1. “One” by Metallica shows a more serious side of heavy metal. How does the music fit the lyrical content? What elements of the song show the band’s influences? Who are they influential to?
2. “Rock Box” by Run-D.M.C. provides an example of the prototype of hardcore rap that was able to crossover to mainstream audiences. How does the mix of rock guitar and hip hop beats, seen as adversaries at the time, fuse to create their signature sound? How are they influential to later rap and hip hop artists?
3. Nirvana’s “Smells Like Teen Spirit” signals the emergence of a new style, a hybrid of the “post punk” era. What characterizes the “grunge” sound? How does the vocal delivery express the lyrical content? Is Nirvana similar or different from their contemporaries in the “alternative rock” movement?
4) The PMRC believed that labeling “pornographic content”on Cd’s would deter sales of both rap and metal styles, as both were seen as detrimental to youth of America, even pointing out antisocial behavior and suicide. Is this a direct attack on “freedom of speech”? If so, what is the limit of free speech?
5. British metal and L.A. metal both enjoy success during the 1980’s. How do they differ in approach? Are there similarities? Give examples of both styles for support.